THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T-40 sound and Phase Switch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
themacinator

themacinator

T-40 sound and Phase Switch Empty
PostSubject: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 am

I just got a T-40 that I bought off eBay and the seller didn't disclose that the Phase switch was busted. Seems to be stuck in some sort of middle position and won't move any direction. I saw the thread on replacments and the Radio Shack one looks like it will do. (Wish I could get an original) Also the barrel jack is loose and will need to be replaced. No biggie.

What is a biggie is that I am really disappointed in the sound. It's muddy, the volume is very low. I own a T-20 as well as a Foundation and both are loud and really bright sounding.

So is my T-40's issue related to that Phase switch or is there something else that will help me out here?
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:37 am

I would go ahead and replace the phase switch. I have used the Radio Shack switch a couple times and have no complaints. In fact, another guy from the T-60 forum and I accompanied Chip Todd on a Radio Shack run for switches in Cedar Park a few years ago.

The only thing I can think of on the muddy sound might be non-stock wiring on the tone pots. Somebody might have monkeyed with it.
Back to top Go down
themacinator

themacinator

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks, is there a place I can get the stock wiring information so that someone can work on it for me. I am not about to take that on. I'd mess it up for sure.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 6:38 pm

I have a stock T-60/T-40 diagram that I can email you. PM your address to me and I'll get it to you.

You might do a search here. I don't remember if anyone has uploaded it here or not. I don't have anywhere to host stuff since Yahoo took Geocities down so I haven't uploaded it here yet.
Back to top Go down
themacinator

themacinator

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Good news, the T-40 is back from the tech and all is well. The phase switch was stuck in some weird setting. It works great now.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 am

That is good news! Are you still looking to do some under the hood wiring work?
Back to top Go down
themacinator

themacinator

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Not real sure. I wanna take it to band practice and see how it sounds with the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
chiptodd

chiptodd

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 am

Themainator;
If the guitar has low volume, check it the pickups are within a quarter of an inch of the strings when fretted at the 20th fret. If they are, then turn the tone control(s) to full bass. Tap on each pickup blade (or each black "window") with a steel object, such as a screwdriver, to see that all the four coils are working. Some time after I left Peavey, someone at Peavey decided to make the installation of the chrome covers easier and devised a method that often broke the connection between coils inside the pickups. This method leaves dents in the chrome cover on each end. If you have one or more inoperative coil, it's a cinch that's the low volume problem; only one coil is working.
You can PM me, email me at: chiptoddguitars@gmail.com , or use this string to work it out if you'd like.
Chip
Back to top Go down
JJBass

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Anyone convert the phase switch to a series/parallel switch? It would seem that this would have a more useful effect. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 10:35 am

I haven't done that mod yet but I am debating on using the phase switch position for a coil tap function. Sometimes it is just too difficult to dial single coil back to my humbucker sweet spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-40 sound and Phase Switch   T-40 sound and Phase Switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-40 sound and Phase Switch
Page 1 of 1