THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RWalker

NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions Empty
PostSubject: NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions   NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I am a proud new owner of a Red T40. will post photos later.

I just had some questions about finding the right sound with this bass. when playing it for the first time today (through a Traynor YBA 200 tube head, with a single 15" cab).

when playing i found that there seemed to be some clipping when i played the strings harder (playing fast punk music). the lighter i played the strings the better it sounded (less crappy speaker clip) all the knobs on the bass were turned to full.
front toggle switch was in the middle.
the back toggle switch was in "phase" mode

i was wondering if there are any suggestions to reduce the clipping when the attack is more aggressive. perhaps should i be plugging in through the active input..??? the bass is passive correct?

any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated !!
cheers!

ryan
Back to top Go down
NOZHX

NOZHX

PostSubject: HI!   NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 am

Welcome to the best site about T40

i had the same problem with that, all i have to do is go down the pickups with the screws, i think this kind of basses not are the better for "heavy attack" or slapping, that clipping is the string clip with the pickup...

i hope this info be helpfull...

salutes from Mexico!!!
Back to top Go down
cushymac

cushymac

PostSubject: I had the same issue....   NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:17 am

I had the same issue on my new T-40 and so I thought I would email Chip Todd. He advised cutting the RED wire that goes from the pickups to the tone pots (at the tone connection not the pickup) This gets rid of the single coil switching when you go past 7 on the tone control - it simplifies things somewhat (don't forget to tape the end of the wire). He also suggested unsoldering the chrome pick up covers but I haven't done that yet.
I think that these pickups are very high output and should not be too close to the strings as the signal will be too strong. Lower the pickups considerably and see what that does then raise them up a bit to increase the sound level. If you have a low input on your amp you could also try that just to see if it improves.

Haven't played it through an amp since the mod but am back in the studio Tuesday.

I hope this helps

Cushymac
www.myspace.com/rugfireuk
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions   NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 am

That's Chip's favorite mod. I've played a bunch of his guitars that he's done that to. It really brightens them up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions   NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW T40 Owner - SOUND Questions
Page 1 of 1