THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet

Go down 
+8
A9X
el duderino
princeplanet
T-40
Frank N. Peavey
Aladaube
Scottpro1969
eilif
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eilif

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet Empty
PostSubject: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 12:08 pm

I put this together a while back and it has been updated a few times on a different forum. I'm glad I can finally give it the home it deserves. If anyone has anything to add, let me know. I'd welcome the suggestions.

Everything you wanted to know about the T-40 bass V2.2:

Tone-Very Versatile, but still has a unique tone all it's own. Can achieve one of the best pseudo-ric tones of any non-Rickenbacker instrument. The t-40 is said to be able to do good versions of many other classic basses, but it definitely has it’s own unique tonal character.

Bodies-. Natural and sunburst finished bodies are Ash, and solid colored bodies are made of poplar, with a few early solid colored bodies being made of alder. T-40 bodies are very heavy and are usually made of 4 pieces of wood, with two smaller strips in the middle, reaching a bit wider than edges of the pickups, and two larger pieces on the sides. Fairly good grain matching, along with the huge pick guard, makes many t-40’s look quite consistent from the front, and akin to a butcher block on the back. Later model T-40 bodies are reportedly more contoured and a bit lighter than earlier model T-40’s

Finishes- The most common T-40 body finish is a thin satin natural colored finish with the grain accenuated by the application of a walnut colored grain filler. The finish is not extremely hard, but not being gloss, natural T-40’s hide their dents well. Most other finishes are hard polyurethane gloss and include black, white, at least two types of sunburst (traditional and sienna), red, Blue, and burgundy. Orange has also been spotted, but it is unclear if it is a stock color, custom, or aftermarket refinish.

T-40 necks and headstocks are always gloss finished.

Pickups All Peavey T-40's have chrome rimmed ferrite (iron) humbuckers with a wide frequecy range and the ability to operate in humbucking and single coil modes.

-Early models 78-82/83 have covered dual magnet humbucking pickups (often referred to as “toaster” style). These pickups are noted for being somewhat warmer sounding without quite as much gain as, but perhaps more "thickness" than, the blade models.

-82/83 and later models have single magnet and exposed blade humbucking pickups. The single magnet design is more efficient and these pickups are noted for having greater attack and high end with more gain than the "toaster" style.

Construction- Made in the USA in Meridian, Mississippi, T-40's tend to be very consistent, well built basses. First bass ever made on CNC routing machines. Changed the way basses were made industrywide.

Neck/Fingerboard- Gloss finished "bi-laminate" maple neck (two pieces of reverse grain maple) is very stable, but sometimes not particularly attractive. No separate fingerboard on maple board models. Also available with a rosewood fingerboard, though not as common as maple. T-40's have a neck tilt feature similar to 70's fenders, but with 4 bolt necks. Some fretless rosewood fingerboard T-40's were produced as the T-40FL model.

Nut-T-40 was introduced with a metal nut, which many owners credit with giving the bass clarity and “ring”. Somewhere in the second half of production (probably post 1984) it was replaced with a plastic nut.

Hardware -Sturdy, sometimes oversized chrome hardware. The cast bridge has a sustain block and allows through body stringing only. Tuners are similar to current model Grover Titan and Schaller m4s model machines. Knobs, bridge and neck plate have "Peavey" or the Peavey "P" embossed over a black enamel background.

Controls- Two switches, a three way selector switch and "mystery" phase switch. Four knobs, consisting of volume and tone for each pickup.

Single coil options-Tone knob switches from humbucker to single coil at the "7" position.

Mystery Switch-Second "mystery" switch is an in-phase/out-of-phase switch that only works when both pickups are on. Brings a nasally honking sound to the bass.

History- Designed by Chip Todd, manufactured from 1978-1987. The T-40 and it's guitar counterpart the T-60 were the first guitars manufactured by Peavey.

Dating- Peavey has a forum where you can post your serial# and get the year of manufacture in a couple of days. http://www.peavey.com/support/forums/

Going rate- Last time I did an eBay completed auctions search (march 2007), they were averaging between 250 and 350 (with a few cheaper and more expensive) depending on condition, case, etc.

Related instruments- The T-40 the bass counterpart to theT-60 guitar. A single pickup version of the T-40 was also manufactured, called the T-45. The T-45 is similar, but lacks a pick guard and phase switch, and has a passive "special mid-
frequency roll-of control". The T-20 has simlar (though lighter) body and neck to the t-40, but has a single large size “super ferrite” pickup under a pickguard in the mid position, similar to early Peavey “fury” basses.

Truss rod adjustment- Requires a 5/16" socket type and it is available through Stewart MacDonald

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

Owners Manual- available for download here: http://www.peaveyt60.com/images/Peavey%20T-60.pdf

Wiring diagram - http://www.peaveyt60.com/mods&hotrodding.htm

Modifications - T-40 is one of the few basses that Darkstar pickups (Hagstrom Bi-Sonic style pickups by Hammon Engineering: www.basspickup.com) can be fitted to without any additional routing. Some owners have also experimented with various means of lightening the bodies. Replacement pick guards are made by Jeanie’s pick guards and others.

Case- T-40's came with a fitted plastic hardshell case in either a rectangle (alumninum frame under plastic) or a rounded wedge shaped case with integral handle. Some early examples may have come with a very heavy tolex case with unfitted interior, leather endcaps, white piping and rounded edges.(very similiar to traditional fender style)

Custom work- Chip Todd (T-40 creator) does custom work on T series instruments and others, including lightening bodies, custom tops, body binding and left handed instruments. http://www.peaveyt60.com/ctecustoms.htm

Promotional materials- All the T-60 materiel here are also features the T-40. http://www.peaveyt60.com/t-60_brochures.htm

Websites: http://www.peaveyt60.com/t-60_articles.htm has schematics (same as t-60) info about T-40 creator Chip Todd, and early Peavey instruments, and some informative articles. Also, check the Peavey website for owners manual and related information on their forums. Chip Todd is known to post on those forums.

Last edited by eilif on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Most excellent information for anyone interested in a T-40, or who just want to know.

The only area I can question is where it is stated that the T-20 and T-40 are the same body. Having owned several of both basses....both natural and solid color I can say that, while the body shape is similar, the weight difference is dramatic. The T-20 is a much lighter bass.

I also own a Rickenbacker and it is true that a Rick "like" sound can be achieved with the T-40 that I can't get out of other basses.

Thanks very much for this. I'm sure it will answer many questions others might have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks, change made.
Back to top Go down
Aladaube

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 1:47 pm

IMO this is a useful document that could potentially even serve as the basis for a "FAQ" section on this site.

The pickup section needs some expanding, as the "toaster" and "blade" types are in fact structurally different. Here is a snip from Chip Todd's explanation on the T-60 site:

Quote :
... The original pickups had two magnets; one through each of the coil's bobbins. These magnets were ferrite material and were rectangular in cross-section and were stood on edge. There was a magnetic return strip of iron laid flat across the bottom of the pickup and magnetically attached to the bottom edges of the pickups. This iron kept the magnetic field from forming on the bottom of the pickup identical to the top field, so the field on the topside was greater than of that of the pickups like Gibson, (without magnetic returns). We used iron, as opposed to steel, as iron is more compatible with magnetism than steel. Steel won't remain magnetized as long as iron.

The blade type pickup had two thin strips of plated iron arranged on edge through the bobbins, (which had to be redesigned with a thinner slot through the centers). The magnet was quite like the magnets of the early pickups and was held between the two blades. The magnet was laid flat, (not on edge), and took the position of the earlier magnetic return. We found the position of the magnet was more efficient, so only one magnet was used, with the overall result a stronger and better-shaped magnetic field around the strings. ...

Last edited by on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Good to know, I would like to simplify that, but I'm not exaclty sure how. Would it be accurate to say that both pickups used ferrite (iron magents) but the original toaster covered pups had dual magnets, and the more efficient blade pups used a single magnet per coil?

Somebody help me translate chip's explaination into a words that are easy to visualize.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 am

Excellent work!

The orange T you spotted had to be aftermarket as that color was not an option on any of the T-series guitars/basses.

Fretless T-40s do exist. In fact they were a separate model (T-40FL).
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:28 pm

PT43 wrote:
Excellent work!

Fretless T-40s do exist. In fact they were a separate model (T-40FL).

Thanks for mentioning that, I was aware of, but I will make it clearer.

Anyone care to comment on my pickup explanation two posts up, or is is accurate as is?
Back to top Go down
T-40
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:31 pm

thank you for this great addition to our tech section!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com
princeplanet

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 am

Great information! Just want to mention that the natural finish bodies were rubbed with a walnut stain to enhance the grain.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 12:53 pm

T-40 wrote:
thank you for this great addition to our tech section!!!!

You're very welcome! Glad to do it. I'm just happy to find a bunch of folks who love the t-40 as much as I do.

princeplanet wrote:
natural finish bodies were rubbed with a walnut stain to enhance the grain.

Thanks Princeplanet. That's very interesting, and may explain the really well pronounced grain on alot of the t-40's you see out there. I'd never heard that before, but it does make sense. If that is true, maybe the really faint grain on the t-40 of the "paf twins" never recieved a walnut rubbing? https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/t-40-pictures-f3/my-paf-twins-at-home-t101.htm

Not doubting you, but anyone out there want to confirm or deny this before I add it?
Back to top Go down
princeplanet

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 pm

I'll ask Chip again. He posted about the walnut stain a few times on the T-60 forum. The twins are a very good looking pair. The 40 doesn't really look like ash in the photo. Wonder if another wood was used on that one or if it was originally painted then stripped?
Back to top Go down
el duderino

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Very nice collection of info.

The only thing is that I always thought that the tuners were Schaller M4S machines.

Pics:

Schaller M4S
Eilif's T-40 Info sheet 58___M4S20-Bass20Mechaniken

T40 tuners
Eilif's T-40 Info sheet 32_12_sb
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks Duderino,

Titans and M4S machines look almost identical.

http://www.wdmusic.com/images_products/titan_bass_tuners_2_2_b25716.jpg

I changed the listing to reflect the similarities to both. At second glance the main difference seems to be that the titans have set screws rather than posts. That would seem to indicate the Schallers as the more likely candidate. Anyone have any solid word as to whether either company manufactured these for Peavey?
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 4:45 pm

princeplanet wrote:
Great information! Just want to mention that the natural finish bodies were rubbed with a walnut stain to enhance the grain.

Just checked up on this one. You are esesntially correct. on the t60 forums, Chip says that they were given a walnut grain filler. I will add this. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 9:47 pm

I had forgotten all about the filler. pale
Back to top Go down
A9X

A9X

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:25 am

Excellent summary of the T40 and it's features and variations.

Cheers

3 x T40, 1 x T60
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks A9X,
I remember you making some good comments on T-40's over at TB. Glad to see you're over here too.
Back to top Go down
that damned fly

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 12:31 am

does anyone know the actual resistance of these pickups?
Back to top Go down
Aladaube

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 am

I see eilif's original info sheet is currently being used by an eBay seller to describe the T-40 he has on auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavy-T-40-Bass-Guitar-1981_W0QQitemZ140202364657QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Back to top Go down
millahh

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 11:44 am

Eilif, reading that sheet back when you first posted it on TB is what convinced me that i needed to get a T-40.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
finnbass

finnbass

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Fantastic info. Thanks for posting that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.finnbass.com
Aladaube

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 am

Here are some further observations that may or may not be eligible for inclusion in the info sheet:

About the nut -

It looks like many later T-40's (ca. '83) have some kind of plastic nut instead of the earlier aluminum (?) one. Who knows when the change was made?

About the case -

I've seen four different kinds of cases, all reported by owners to be original:

1) plain, rectangular, black tolex-covered, sharp corners.

2) Fender-style, rectangular, black tolex, rounded edges, white piping/black leather reinforcements at either end.

3) Ovation-style, aluminum-framed plastic, rectangular, rounded corners, large embossed Peavey logo on the sides (I have this one).

4) molded plastic, rounded wedge shape, embossed ridges and logo on the sides, integral carrying handle.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 pm

We haven't been able to pin down the exact time the metal nut changed to plastic, but it's after blade pickups and bat switches were introduced.

As for the cases, #3 and #4 are the only ones that Peavey offered.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for the additional kudos folks. Millah, I'm glad I was able to play a part in bringing you into the fold.

As for the info sheet additions....

Aladaube.
Thanks for the info on the nut. I'll update that. I had no idea that the nut was plastic in later models.

PT43,
Are you all sure about only 3 and 4 being offered by Peavey? I only ask because I have a t-40 with the #2 style fender style case, and I have never seen another bass case of the same dimensions (larger and heavier than the fender version) besides the one that came with my Peavey with the exception of a couple of what appears to be the same case in other T-40 auctions.

I have not seen any of the plain tolex #1 style, but I don't want to rule it out just yet. Any more evidence one way or the other?
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 am

I'm nearly positive that Peavey didn't offer #1 back in the day. I'm not sure what they offer these days. I've only been able to verify #3 and #4 for the T-40s. I'm still researching the post T-40 basses. I have a case similar to #2 that was I was told was a Dyna Bass case. My wife modified it to accept my T-40 until I found a teardrop T case for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next