THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet

Go down 
+8
A9X
el duderino
princeplanet
T-40
Frank N. Peavey
Aladaube
Scottpro1969
eilif
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eilif

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:10 am

I think I agree with you regarding #1. My hesitation with discounting #2 is that the one I have fits a t-40 perfectly, and unless I am mistaken Peavey t-40's don't fit in regular size cases as they are a bit longer and wider than most basses. I can't be positive because the case I recieved -though it appears to be of the same vintage as the t-40- has no brand markings anywhwere.

Anyone tried t-40 in other brands of hardcase? Fit, not fit?
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 7:38 am

That could be. I'm by no means an expert in these matters, just someone with an extreme interest.

I've always wondered if the Coffin Cases fit the T-40 and T-60.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 11:29 am

PT43 wrote:

I've always wondered if the Coffin Cases fit the T-40 and T-60.

I think I saw a t-40 in a coffin case for sale on ebay a while back...
Back to top Go down
el duderino

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:27 pm

As far as whether or not there were four different cases Peavey used, here's a pic from an ebay auction a few years ago that claimed to have the original case.

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 93_3

Based on the condition of the bass in this pic and the plastic still being on the pickguard, it is possible that this could be case style #1. I might have the rest of the pics from the auction somewhere on my hard drive. If I find them, I'll upload them for further scrutiny.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm

I dunno 'bout that being an original case. I'm pretty sure Chip said only two styles were offered.
Back to top Go down
Aladaube

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:34 am

Another example of #1. This was on eBay just a few weeks ago and claimed to be original:

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 Tolex1a

Obviously the same kind of case as Duderino's example, with the moss-green plush interior and lack of form-fitting. Note the included documentation and what might be the truss rod wrench.

Here's a #2, also recently on eBay and similar to Eilif's own:

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 Tolex1b

So, we now have two examples each of styles #1 and #2.

It is, of course, possible that all of these T-40s had one or more previous owners, so that the provenance of the cases is actually unknown, and they are simply assumed to be original since they "came with the bass".

But then the question arises, why should an original #3 case ever have been replaced or lost, since it's both sturdy and essential to transportation?

However, if Chip T. affirms that #3 and #4 were positively the only styles ever shipped, then that must be so.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 6:29 am

Most of the pawn shops I've talked to say they usually throw hard cases away. Something about it takes too much space to store cases.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 7:19 am

Thanks for the pics Aladaube.

What you have there, however, appears to be exterior and interior shots of my case, i.e. two examples of #2, and IMHO both original. It is hard to tell from the limited pictures, but both cases seem have the same white piping, leather ends, and latch placement.

It is good confirmation though since all the tolex cases I have seen that seem to be original have the same features:
-rounded edges
-white piping
-Black "leather" end caps
-unfitted interior with single accesory compartment
-some variation on the strange moss-green-brownish-goldish colored interior
-Also, all the ones I have seen are paired with early "toaster" model basses, which might suggest that it was only available early on, and not later. Possibly also explaining why it is less known and less common.

The case that Duderino showed looks to me to possibly be a #2 also. The color is close enough, and the edge and under body padding ends in the right places. Also, because in #2 cases the leather endscaps and piping ends in the metal corners on the lid and bottom of the case we can't tell from directly above, or in his picture, wether or not that case has the piping and endcaps.

Summary: There seem to be too many examples of a #2 cases with T-40's to discount the possiblilty that it may be original. Unless more informatin becomes available, I am going to make a comprimise that will probably anoy everyone and modify the info-sheet to confirm that the #2 may be original and the #1 is not.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 12:48 pm

I hadn't ever seen #2 until these pics (thanks for sharing). One could guess that maybe these were used in the very beginning (pre-production and 8M days) until the first T-cases arrived. Just a guess, Chip would know for sure.
Back to top Go down
el duderino

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 4:46 pm

PT43 wrote:
I hadn't ever seen #2 until these pics (thanks for sharing). One could guess that maybe these were used in the very beginning (pre-production and 8M days) until the first T-cases arrived. Just a guess, Chip would know for sure.

The thing is, I'm not so sure about it being used in preproduction, but for a very short time later on. The reason that I say this is due to this picture:

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 A76op6to4j

These are both owned by a forumite over at HCBF and both are extremely early models; one is a low serial number, and one is a #000000 pre production model. Both are in #3 style cases. The production one is definitely the original case, as he is the original owner, but it still could be possible that the original case for the pre-production model could've been lost somewhere along the way and replaced with a case known to be used early on.

Just my 2 cents.

What I would like to know though is when the teardrop cases went from three to four latches, as the original case for my '81 has three and the case that I bought off of ebay for my FL has four.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Got me on the pre-pro in a later case. I hadn't been tracking the change of latches on cases so far, I may have to dig into my pics and see on what serial number the change first shows up.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 1:09 pm

PT43 wrote:

No Problem,
As to the era for the cases, My guess (no real evidence to back this one up) is that they were offered as either an upgrade option, or as a stopgap between availablility of plastic cases. I don't know how low a serial # I have, but mine is a '79, and thus not from the first year of production.

They mystery continues....
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 6:13 am

Agreed. This might be one of those mysteries we never truly explain.
Back to top Go down
el duderino

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 4:42 pm

PT43 wrote:
Agreed. This might be one of those mysteries we never truly explain.

Kinda like "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I believe the owl said it's three.....yep, three. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 5:14 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Aladaube

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Currently up on eBay is yet another, very good example of case style #2: link

Cerealkilla1980's case for his PAF here is what I referred to as style #1:

https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/t-40-pictures-f3/just-joined-the-club-t152.htm

I would agree, though, that this one does look too new and unscuffed to be a 1979 original. It may well be that my #1 is an aftermarket plain case that just happens to fit perfectly. If so, many here are interested in what the make might be.

Eilif: how about adding a separate section for the headstock, mainly the decals? That's one of the first things to look at when assessing a T-40.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Aladaube wrote:

Eilif: how about adding a separate section for the headstock, mainly the decals? That's one of the first things to look at when assessing a T-40.

Great Idea! I'd love to have that in my infosheet.
Can someone post here, or email or PM me the details on the headstock decals and details (like the tracing around the truss cover) and what years they correspond to.

It would be neat to expand the infosheet beyond a simple overview, so if there are new sections, or large expansions to the sheet that other folks are thinking of, let me know.
Back to top Go down
wanderlusterer

wanderlusterer

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 3:41 am

eilif wrote:
Aladaube wrote:

Great Idea! I'd love to have that in my infosheet.
Can someone post here, or email or PM me the details on the headstock decals and details (like the tracing around the truss cover) and what years they correspond to.

It would be neat to expand the infosheet beyond a simple overview, so if there are new sections, or large expansions to the sheet that other folks are thinking of, let me know.

Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but PT43 made a pretty good explanation to "Patent Applied For" in this thread: https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/peavey-t-40-discussion-f4/patent-applied-for-t115.htm

Maybe you'd like to use it as a point of reference?
Back to top Go down
T-40
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:00 am

Thanks for this contribution!
Back to top Go down
https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eilif's T-40 Info sheet   Eilif's T-40 Info sheet - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eilif's T-40 Info sheet
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2