THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cracked Back- Worth Buying?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PizzaCommander

Cracked Back- Worth Buying? Empty
PostSubject: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey guys, noob here- I've had my eyes on a T40 for a while now, and I've found one on eBay near me for pretty cheap. The catch: there's a hairline crack along the back where the separate pieces of wood were glued together.

Owner can't provide any information on whether or not it's gotten worse over the years as he just recently acquired the bass. I'm hesitant, especially if it could get worse, but the price is right for me at the moment.

Have any of you experienced this problem before?

Cracked Back- Worth Buying? $(KGrHqV,!k8E9HhtthJPBPSUJubGKg~~60_3

For $220, would you buy?
Back to top Go down
58mark

58mark

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Not for that price. Maybe $150, and you can pick up a replacement body for cheap or fix that one. If you are going to have it worked on, lighten the body while you are at it

Back to top Go down
PizzaCommander

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for your answer, that pretty much settles it. I just don't feel right picking one of these up with a crack like that.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
58mark

58mark

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Just remember the pickups are worth at least $100 on these basses, so there is still value there if the neck, bridge, pots and pickups are all in good condition

Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Agreed. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a split in the body or neck if that was going to be my player bass. Nothing wrong with grabbing it for the parts and getting another body at some point down the road.
Back to top Go down
Knappyheadedmutha

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

You do know that the volume/tone knobs can go for 100 bones alone right? Just something to note if you have ever priced for parts for the T-40.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Very true. T-parts can be quite expensive. Sometimes it pays to get a basket case or near basket case T just to part it out.
Back to top Go down
Knappyheadedmutha

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 pm

What happened to this deal..did you go through with it or not? Just saw some parts go out on ebay.. that dude will clean up with em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Back- Worth Buying?   Cracked Back- Worth Buying? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cracked Back- Worth Buying?
Page 1 of 1