THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Rattling" some help?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wanderlusterer

wanderlusterer

"Rattling" some help? Empty
PostSubject: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Evening gang! Recently I switched out some flats on my T40 after finding out that they just don't feel right to me. I played em' for a few months and still couldn't get used to how smooth they were. So now I'm back to some nickel round D'Addario EXL 165's. They're .045, .065, .085 and .105. They feel fine to me in playing but I'm having a helluva time with the A string. There's this "rattle" I'm getting when I pluck it open, even softly. I noticed that the tuning nob was a little loose so I tightened it down a little but that still didn't help and the rattle appears to be from the nut. I don't want to start filing it if it's not necessary. Anyone else had this problem?

What are the recommended gauges to use?

Many thanks,

Mark
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 5:12 am

Sounds like the nut slot is too wide for the string. I wouldn't file it more. That happened to me once, I cut a tiny piece of cardboard and sort of wrapped it around the string where it fits into the nut slot, worked for me. Now the string fits in there snug. It's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
KCR

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 5:23 am

My open D string rattled a bit when I was using Webstrings flats. I switched to a set of Fender flats (same gauge D string, though) and the rattle went away.
Back to top Go down
wanderlusterer

wanderlusterer

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 2:48 pm

Scottpro1969 wrote:
Sounds like the nut slot is too wide for the string. I wouldn't file it more. That happened to me once, I cut a tiny piece of cardboard and sort of wrapped it around the string where it fits into the nut slot, worked for me. Now the string fits in there snug. It's worth a shot.

I don't know what I was thinking when the thought came across about filing it.

In any case Scott, I actually substituted paper towel instead of cardboard since none was readily available and guess what? No "rattle" thanks for the suggestion!
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Glad to hear it!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
wanderlusterer

wanderlusterer

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 am

Okay, it's been a while since this was posted and since then, I've gone through about 3 sets of strings. Quite frankly, i'm getting a bit tired of putting bits of paper towel in between the nut and the strings and have decided to replace the nut itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find a replacement for a direct fit? I'd much prefer if I didn't have to file it. It doesn't matter if it's an exact replacement, but it does for one that is good for sustain. I've emailed Stewmac for those of you who are familiar with them, but didn't think it would hurt to ask if anyone else has had some better luck!
Back to top Go down
ajish4

ajish4

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Ok,

I have never tired this on a METAL nut, but once used this method on a standard nut on a Rickenbacker.

I used SUPER GLUE to build up the nut groove. I used some glossy oaktag paper that was taped on both sides of the nut. Then, little by little I built up the groove with the super glue.

Then, when hardened to a decent level, I gently filed it down to fit the string. It lasted for years and never had an issue with it again!

Hope this helps, just not sure if it would hold in the metal nut.

PS. DO NOT leave the oaktag paper on too long, after the glue sets remove and sand if necessary.
Back to top Go down
T-40
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:17 pm

wanderlusterer wrote:
Okay, it's been a while since this was posted and since then, I've gone through about 3 sets of strings. Quite frankly, i'm getting a bit tired of putting bits of paper towel in between the nut and the strings and have decided to replace the nut itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find a replacement for a direct fit? I'd much prefer if I didn't have to file it. It doesn't matter if it's an exact replacement, but it does for one that is good for sustain. I've emailed Stewmac for those of you who are familiar with them, but didn't think it would hurt to ask if anyone else has had some better luck!

it should only cost you $50 to get it done by a pro including the nut. You want it to be an exact fit and file because if it's not you could just run into similar or even worse problems later.
Back to top Go down
https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Rattling" some help?   "Rattling" some help? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Rattling" some help?
Page 1 of 1