THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ozrider

peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision Empty
PostSubject: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 am

G'day all in T40 land. I have stumbled on your forum while chasing information about the T40. I am looking in the market for a fender jazz 70s but have stumbled on this very interesting '79 T40. Looks way cool and pickup configuration is very interesting. I currently own an '83 precision and am wondering how the T40 compares to the fenders for sound and playability. You all must love your bass' and to be honest the T40 looks great but how does it compare? Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
t3ch

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 pm

They are completely different animals, it's hard to say one is better than the other.

Here is my completely unhelpful answer: it's all personal preference, I own both.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:28 pm

As mentioned above, I would say very different animal. The neck is wider and similar to a precision rather than a jazz. The tone can be set to sound similar to a jazz or precision, but as it has humbuckers in the extreme neck and bridge positions, the basic tone is different from the jazz bass which has single coil pups in the mid and bridge positions. It's a hard tone to pin down, but I find that the basic tone of my t-40 (a 79 model with toaster pups, strung with old pure nickle strings) combines elements of a precision and rickenbacker with a fairly high output that is nonetheless a bit warmer in tone than a ric. I own a jazz, precision and a couple t-40's, and they are all great basses, but it's definatley a case of apples oranges and mangos.

The T-40's were manufactured in the USA, and their quality and playability is definately equal of the fender basses, and they are probably the best bargain in vintage USA made basses. As mentioned above, the tone is everybit as good, but it is a different kind of tone.

They are heavier however. Whether or not they are too heavy is up to your discrecion.

Check out the T-40 infosheet in the tech section for more complete info about the t-40.
Back to top Go down
countshock

PostSubject: Get it!   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:18 pm

I own a Fender Jazz and a Fender p/j, also a T-40 and T-45. Completely different animals. The T neck is closer to a P than a Jazz. Considering how cheap you can get a decent T-40, give it a try, you'll probably like it!
Back to top Go down
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 am

Thanks for the help. Don't know how cheap this bass on ebay will go for but we shall see if I am lucky ;-) I like the sound of what you guys have said. Nice community here, keep it up Smile
Back to top Go down
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 am

I got it!!! Thanks countshock! pushed me over the edge Wink thanks eilif for the helpful info and tech section - very useful Smile

Will post a pic when it arrives... stoked!
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 7:04 am

Glad to hear you made the leap. You're gonna love it!

We'll be waiting for those pics and a review. It's always good to hear what new owners of T40's think about them.

ozrider wrote:
I got it!!! Thanks countshock! pushed me over the edge Wink thanks eilif for the helpful info and tech section - very useful Smile

Will post a pic when it arrives... stoked!
Back to top Go down
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Well the bass has arrived!! It is a great bass. Great condition although there is some blemishes (chips) out of the neck plastic pickup covers. Other than that it is in excellent condition. I would not have bought it without advice from this forum. It is a great addition to the family Smile

peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision 08032012

peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision 08032013
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 7:53 pm

You can get those pickup covers replaced very easily...awesome T-40, toasters, beautiful grain pattern...great find!!!

LOVE the hollow bodied bass, what is that one? Looks like a 70s Yamaha by the headstock and tuners...VERY nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanks for the nice remarks. Wood grain is pretty cool. Where do I get those pickup covers? The yamaha is an SA70 made between '69-'71 it is a very nice bass especially with the tiger maple front and back (not so visible on the pics). The T40 feels like a cross between that and the fender P bass to me. Very pleased with the T-40 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision   peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

peavey T40 vs Fender Jazz/precision
Page 1 of 1