THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T-40 Wiring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
t40rocker

T-40 Wiring Empty
PostSubject: T-40 Wiring   T-40 Wiring I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi all you t-40 enthusiasts!

Lately i got a 1983 T-40 and i have some trouble with it's wiring. I now found this forum and hope anyone can help me.

I had a lot of basses in the last 15 to 20 years (low end and pretty much so called "high end" ones) and i must say this t-40 is a "keeper" to me. I like it VERY much. But, i' afraid, mine has some "inconsistencies" to work on.

The wiring on mine is not genuine (from the web i got the original peavey wiring diagram). For example, BOTH pickups had been wired to the out-of-phase switch!

I got some experience in circuits that suits me (should be flawless reproducible in a live situation) and after a lot of testing the given circuit (and also trying the genuine one - i spent much time on soldering it!) i would welcome my own one (and may be still more of you t-40 afficionados):

There are two switches, this means: no need to drill new holes in the pickguard.
I would like to have discrete switches to every pickup for: "Single-Coil", "Humbucking" and "Off". I know, the original wiring gives trillions of capabilities, but this is not what i want. I want a few settings i can in no time rerun in live situations.

May be someone can help me with a wiring diagram? I got a lot of experinces in basses, but nothing in creating new wiring circuits!

Also two questions, i could'nt find an answer until now:
Are there any difference between the two t-40 pickups (neck and bridge one)?
In wich direction are they mounted? I presume the cables on both pups comes out on the lower side (near to the potentiometers or e-string). On mine the connectors come out on opposite directions (the bridge pup near to the g-string, the neck pup near to the e-string).

Thank's a lot,
Peter.

P.S.: Excuse my bad english, i used some web helpers to get it translated.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 Wiring   T-40 Wiring I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Welcome to the show, we're happy to have you on board.

I can't really give any advice on different wiring setups, but I am still messing with something new for a T-60 project I'm working on.

According to Chip Todd (creator of the T-40 and T-60) the only difference between the neck and bridge pickups is the length of the wire.

The wires should come out the bottom side. But I hear you can get some new sounds by mounting them the other way too.
Back to top Go down
chiptodd

chiptodd

T-40 Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 Wiring   T-40 Wiring I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 pm

I should clarify the statement that I made about pickups being the same. It is virtually impossible to wind two coils with the same number of turns about the bobbins and come up with the same resistance reading. The winding machine we used to wind pickups from 1976 until some time after 1981 when I went to Fender, was the most accurate one Hartley and I could find. The wire was laid down with a guide that went back and forth like a fishing reel and kept the same tension on the wire. However, when you are using #43, or thereabouts, wire, the total length of wire laid down is always different. In manufacturing, a tolerance range is the real world, and. if not excessive, is not compromising; just a fact. The chances of having both coils the same, or especially two pickups the same just won't happen, unless you use a Wild-Ass-Guess type of ohm meter.

The intent was to have the pickups alike within a tolerance range and only vary the length of output, (external), wire. The difference in the length of output wire also affects the resistance reading.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

T-40 Wiring Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 Wiring   T-40 Wiring I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-40 Wiring
Page 1 of 1