THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New proud owner with a tone/pots question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
razze06

New proud owner with a tone/pots question Empty
PostSubject: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:39 am

Hello all,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1980 black/black pickguard/maple neck T-40, and a new member of this forum.
I have a simple question: are the tone pots on the T-40 supposed to change the sound progressively, or act more just like coil splitters upon reaching 7 on the dial?
What seems to happen on my bass is just that: no change in tone at all until you crank them up to 7, then the sound loses depth and a lot of volume. No further change until the end of the run.
I appreciate that single coil is going to sound thinner than the humbucker sound, but what I get sounds somewhat dodgy. Faulty components?

Now I love the sounds you get from keeping all the pots to max and playing with the pickup selection and phase switch, but i am under the impression that one of the greatest strengths of this bass is its versatility and abundance of different tones, hence my question.

Cheers,
Marco from Edinburgh
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:36 am

With original wiring you are supposed to have full humbucking at zero and single coil at 10 and a gradual change as you rotate the tone.
Back to top Go down
razze06

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 8:02 am

It seems I have a problem then...
I opened the cover again, and everything looks fine, no loose wires, components match and soldering is neat and sturdy.
It had a custom made pickguard fitted and then removed at some stage of its life, I wonder if something gone wrong then, since the electronics are attached to the pickguard.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 5:56 am

I wonder if the tone pot is going bad?
Back to top Go down
razze06

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:44 am

I found the schematics for the T-40, and I compared it from what i saw in the bass itself. There are no simple resistors in the schematics, but there are two in the bass. I reckon someone done a mod on it, with good soldering. I'll double check, and then take it to a tech, as I can't do the soldering in my living room or kitchen, wife would go spare!
I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 6:09 am

Very interesting development. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New proud owner with a tone/pots question   New proud owner with a tone/pots question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New proud owner with a tone/pots question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM :: T-40 DISCUSSION :: PEAVEY T-40 DISCUSSION-
Jump to: