THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another newbie here!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ddbass

ddbass

Another newbie here! Empty
PostSubject: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am

Hi everyone. Having just scored my 1st T40 today from a random music store acquisition (a white/maple/toaster 1980 model I suspect) for $170 including OHSC, I've been scouring the web for T40 resources and it looks like I've found it.

I've been jonesing for one for quite a while. 2 students of mine have them and I was surprised to see how many color options there are. I was holding off on getting a natural one. Not sure why; just figured I'd hold off for a cool color. When I accidentally stumbled upon the white one today for such a reasonable price, I jumped at it.

Like one of the other posters here, I'm also an predominantly an Alembic guy. Sure I also philander with various Fenders, Gibsons and Deans, but my main bass is an Alembic 6 string. Having said that, my favorite bass of all time is my '91 Thunderbird. Go figure.

The T40 seems to have tonal similarities to the Tbirds - big, deep low end and clangy highs. Plus the odd tone knob and phase switches are reminiscent of the Alembic's capabilities. All in all, I think I'm going to enjoy playing it at my gigs this w/e.

I'll be digging around on here and will probably post more as I get acquainted with my new bass. Can't wait to hear how she sounds in the studio.

Cheers, all.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.davedemarco.com
kevdel

kevdel

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:14 am

Welcome aboard. I think as you fool with it in the studio, you'll find it has a lot of usable sounds to work with and the pick-ups are silent. A lot of session players used them for years back it the 70's and 80's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendswithyouband.com
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

I'll beat Tony to the punch and say "Welcome to the Show" Dave.

Sounds like you got a great deal on that bass!!! Congrats!!! Are you a music teacher?

I used to be a staunch Rickenbacker guy until I found the 80s Peavey line of basses. Glad to have you here and stop by often!!

Scott
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
ddbass

ddbass

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Well whaddaya know - another Marylander on here! Howdy, Kevdel.

Scottpro1969 - yup, guilty as charged. I do private lessons and have 50-some-odd students. Been at it 13 years now. That's how I initially got turned onto T40s. Students kept appearing with them and it was hard to hand them back. Thus the search begun.

If I can get up to GC before the weekend for a new strap and a set of Shallers then I'm going to bring her out Friday night. I think my Boogie rig will compliment her well.

D
Back to top Go down
http://www.davedemarco.com
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 am

Yep, Scott beat me to the punch this time around. Who knew I'd be working this many hours when I'm retired? Mad

Welcome to the show Dave. And congrats on picking up your first T-40. I suspect you'll probably end up with at least one more.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 7:19 am

Dave, that's awesome. I'd love to work in something musically related someday. Too bad I'm such a hack player with terrible technique and no theory skills Embarassed Oh well, playing is a blast anyway.

I'm very glad to hear so many of your students show up with a T-40. When I found my first, at a garage sale 6 years ago, I had never heard of one. When I did some Harmony Central searches, I found all of the great reviews so I started to look around on eBay. At the time you could find a mint T-40 w/HSC for around $150!!!! I'm sad and happy to say that those days are over!!!

Tony, I had 16 years experience working in the "civilian" world before joining the Air Force in my 30s. I worked 6 days a week and was lucky to get 2 weeks vacation a year. In the AF, with UTE days and Family Days plus 30 days leave....it's a great gig. As far as money goes, I earned almost double before but, money isn't everything. Sorry you're working so much, my frend. I hear these young guys complain ALLLL the time. I just shake my head and tell them to wait until they have to get a real job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Yep, civilian life sure is a lot different. I joined at 17 and the military was basically all I knew. What an eye opener when I retired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here!   Another newbie here! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another newbie here!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM :: T-40 DISCUSSION :: PEAVEY T-40 DISCUSSION-
Jump to: