THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Serial number dating

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Serial number dating Empty
PostSubject: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I went over to the T-60 site and copied the serial number dating list that they have to hopefully help everyone here with their T-40 dates. Since the T-60 guitars were manufactured at the same time as the basses, the serial numbers are similar and were not separated between guitar and bass, just as they were produced.

I've been told that these are pretty accurate.

8Mxxxxxx 1978

0000xxxx - 0030xxxx 1978

0031xxxx - 0047xxxx 1979

0048xxxx - 0065xxxx 1980

0066xxxx - 0099xxxx 1981

0100xxxx - 0129xxxx 1982

0130xxxx - 0169xxxx 1983

0170xxxx - 0199xxxx 1984

0200xxxx - 0239xxxx 1985

0240xxxx - 0259xxxx 1986

0260xxxx - 0339xxxx 1987

It must be noted that there are some rare 6 digit serial numbers that are out there that do date to 1978, however there is no way to know if they pre-date the 8M, 00 or are mixed in there as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
KCR

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 9:09 pm

Just email Peavey's Customer Service Department with your serial number and they'll reply with the manufacture year. They gave me the dates of both my T-40 and my daughter's T-20. They even told me the color of my T40.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 pm

Agreed KCR, AJ at the Peavey bass discussion forum provides a great service. The dates given here are pretty accurate.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 6:44 am

Yep. AJ at the Peavey Forum is really great at getting dates and color/finish names.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 6:56 am

I just want to make sure people understand that the date of manufacture given here for a T-40 is a pretty good estimate, not exact.

Case in point: A question was asked at the Peavey website forum about a serial number date (00763566), our very own michaelcpoulin, and AJ came back with 1982. So, don't take the list here as gospel.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 8:28 am

Excellent point Scott. I've asked AJ to confirm the date on my eight US made Peavey's and his date matched our list 7 out of 8 times. They can't date imported Peavey's.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:28 am

FYI - Peavey's serial number database suffered a crash a few weeks back. At this time they are not able to date instruments and they don't have any idea when (or if) they'll get the capability to do so again.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:21 am

Here is some serial number related info that Chip had posted on the original T-60 forum quite some time ago. I don't believe that I've posted it here yet.

During the last few years, I have received more than a few T-60s that were the very first ones made on the gunstock carving machine and the Ekstrom-Carlson router, before production was even in sight. The sequence of markings on the first ones was;

CT-1, CT-2, CT-B, the first three built in my carport for the 1976 NAMM show. They were in order, 6 keys per side, 3 keys per side, and the bass. These were hand-stamped.

The next ones were:
Guitar Dept. 1, through Guitar Dept. 5 or 6.(1976) Hand-stamped
Then 0000000.0 through .00000000, 000000.0.0, and 00000.0.0.0 and these were the sales rep samples. Note that the decimal points progressed through the eight numerals and the last of the ten had two decimals. These would let us know and identify if any of the sales reps "lost" their sample. (late 1976 or early 1977)

There were some undisciplined zero-numbered ones with various single digit numbers included in the zeros, which went to artists like, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Neal Diamond, Billy Gibbons, etc.( 1977)

I remember the "8Mxxxxxx"s, but am not sure where they were in the order, only that they weren't before the above and the #00245XXX which was the true first production guitar and was presented to Mississippi Music in Meridian, MS, (the store that Hartley's dad owned before retiring). The Schmidt Serial Numbering head didn't have the capability of letters, only numbers, so there would have been only a very few with the 8Mxxxxxx.

There were a few specials, like the Magnolia wood T-40 bass for Ken Achard, author of "The History and Development of the American Guitar" (with rear mounted pickups and controls), that were made, with Hartley's blessing, off the records and with their initials for serial numbers. hand-stamped

Charley Gressett, his wife, my wife, and I went to see Neal Diamond years later, in California, when we worked for Fender, and were appalled that he had red, white, and blue, NEON TUBES outlining the T-60 that he played when singing "Coming To America", (or something like that). That was probably his 000000XX.
"That's all I know about that".....F. Gump
Chip

It's humorous to read the word,"Vintage" after almost any guitar that's a decade or more old. The word has no meaning anymore. There are two T-60s on ebay now that have an 8Mxxxxxx E serial number. What's funny to me as they don't know that the "E" was stamped on guitars with blemishes and small mistakes and were only sold to employees at a good discount. Those are seconds or blems, not "Vintage" and special units. I do like the part about "rare", meaning we must have not made too many mistakes or they wouldn't be "rare"
Chip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serial number dating   Serial number dating I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serial number dating
Page 1 of 1