THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T-40 newbie from South Africa!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
T40mark

T-40 newbie from South Africa! Empty
PostSubject: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:11 am

Hi to everyone on this fantastic T-40 forum! I'm mark from South Africa, finally got my hands on an awesome T-40 yesterday, bought it off an old guy who bought it new sometime in the early eighties, unfortunately for him he managed to break both his wrists not long after buying it! consequently the bass has never really been played much, in fact it is as close to mint as it gets I think, almost like opening a time capsule or something, can't believe this bass is 30 years old.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera at the moment but will upload pics as soon as possible. The details are sienna sunburst body and rosewood neck, I've read on some posts that most Peavey T-40's are made from 5 pieces of wood, sometimes 3 but from what I can tell this one seems to be only 2, is this possible?

There are a couple of problems that I've encountered and I'm hoping all the T-40 experts on this forum can help me out, there is a major 'dead spot' around the Th and 17 Th frets, mostly on the D and A strings

the action is also fairly high and the neck tilt feature doesn't really seem to do anything although I haven't had time to take the neck off and check what is going on there

I'm guessing that maybe somebody in the past over tightened the neck tilt screw causing a warp in that area? does this seem likely?

also how does one get around adjusting the truss rod? I see that it is not a normal Allen wrench type of deal, any advice on how I can adjust the truss rod with something else?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as this is a vintage bass I want to be very careful what I do with it, also Peavey have their own way of doing things and this neck tilt feature is completely new concept to me.

cheers everyone!
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Welcome to the show and congrats on your new T!

I am looking forward to some pics when you get a chance.

I can't really help on the dead spots or number of pieces of wood in the bodies.

The neck tilt should make a slight difference with every adjustment. Be sure you loosen the two neck screws closest to the micro tilt hole. I also loosen the strings slightly when I do a micro tilt adjustment.

The only problem I can forsee with your micro tilt is someone may habe lost the metal slug that the micro tilt screw goes against and it's simply going into the neck. If you take the neck off and don't see a metal slug you can us an American penny or any other slim piece of metal the same size. An American penny might be difficult to find in your neck of the woods if you'll pardon the Southern term.

The truss rod doesn't have an Allen type end, it has a traditional nut end. The exact size escapes me at the moment but I'm sure it has been posted on here somewhere. You will need a very thin walled socket of the appropriate size to make adjustments to the truss rod or you can contact Peavey direct as they have the proper wrench available from time to time.

Back to top Go down
T40mark

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm

hey thanks so much for replying
will most definitely be posting some pics as soon as I can

I plan on taking the neck off tomorrow so I'l be able to see what exactly
is going on under there.
I have a feeling it is an uneven fret that may have been pushed up

definitely keen to get it sorted as it is the only thing spoiling an awesome bass!

will post again after my findings
thanks for the tip on the socket
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Glad to be of help. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Back to top Go down
T40mark

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 1:01 pm

ok
update on the neck issue
took the neck off today, identified the 19th fret as the offending fret causing all the problems
very slowly and diligently sanded it down with sandpaper and smoothed it out again, made sure its neighbours were happy too
put the neck back on and it seems to be fine now
I suspect the cause of it was a previous owner possibly over tightening the micro tilt screw and causing a slight warp/buckle above it, the fretboard was slightly raised too.
now the only thing I still need to do is take a little relief out of the neck, like a quarter turn maybe two thirds.
only problem is there was no torsion rod adjusting tool with the bass and normal socket bits can't fit the space
any advice as an alternative?
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I seem to remember someone saying that a Gibson truss rod tool fits. I don't know for sure as I don't do any neck adjustments, I leave that to the pros.
Back to top Go down
T40mark

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 4:15 am

hey thanks so much for that tip
you're the second person to tell me that so it must be true!
that makes things so much easier then, I only need a slight tweak anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-40 newbie from South Africa!   T-40 newbie from South Africa! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-40 newbie from South Africa!
Page 1 of 1