THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TOOLbassplayer

Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice Empty
PostSubject: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:12 pm

So I have this gig I'll be playing at for the residence dorms at my college on saturday and I have a question regarding proper bass performance etiquette if you will. This will be my first gig on a bass period (and yes, it is with my T40 that now sounds close enough to a Ric) so I was wondering if there are any techniques to ensuring that I don't accidentally step on my cord hooked up to my amp? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I'm kinda nervous and afraid I might accidentally step on it and unplug myself from my amp (which would be totally humiliating and would ruin our performance). I don't move around alot when I play and am stationary for the most part, but the bass is quite heavy so sometimes I need to shift my body weight and move around alittle, and I have stepped on my cord on occasion when I practice by myself (not alot, but a few times).

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there with experience who has done gigs and knows a of a good way to ensure that you don't step on your cord on accident. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
RichardH

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:14 am

Hi - I'm by no means an expert. On anything. However...

One tip that might help is to run your cable from the guitar output socket between the body of your guitar and the strap (i.e. Over the top of the strap pin). Leave a little slack between output socket and strap (hope this makes sense!) This will almost certainly prevent the jack plug being pulled out if you do step on the cable.

In fact, as long as you have sufficient cable length, you should be fine. Sounds like pre-gig nerves, so remember 'play, don't worry' and you'll be fine.

Have great gig!

Cheers

R
Back to top Go down
kingforaday

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

+1 to what richardh said. i now always do that since stepping on a lead and pulling it out at a gig years ago, then fumbling about for the rest of the song wondering why my bass had stopped working Rolling Eyes

i also do a similar thing at the other end of the cable (amp end) by looping it underneath and around one of the feet on my bass head (between head and cab)

i used to jump around like a fool and was probably constantly pulling on the lead so this technique always served me well. never broke a lead by doing this either as i think the important bit (as richard said) is that you leave a bit of slack so its not pulling the lead from the plug
Back to top Go down
TOOLbassplayer

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:48 am

Richard, what you said makes perfect sense! I don't know why I didn't think about looping the cable through the strap, that makes it completely fool proof from pulling out the cable from underneath (especially when you leave some slack like you mentioned). Both you guys were a great help and yeah, it is pre gig nerves but hopefully once we start our jam we'll forget about the nerves and just have fun with it since thats what its supposed to be about! Thank you guys both for your responses and thanks for the luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TOOLbassplayer

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Well overall I thought my gig was quite a success! Thanks to everyone who helped, and incase anyones interested in seeing the performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpzeA8bLww

Viola! Notice my cable hanging through my strap... Wink
Back to top Go down
RichardH

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:03 am

Powerful sound from that T40!

Your guitarist has a cool looking instrument too. What is it?

Hoping my T40 will arrive this week.

R
Back to top Go down
TOOLbassplayer

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey congrats on your decision to get a T40! I'm so in love with mine now I couldn't imagine ever replacing it Smile

I had mine in C standard tuning and with just using the rhythm (neck) pickup and I noticed that gives it a really powerful bass sound. I dunno what kind of guitar it is that my friend used, but I'll certainly ask him. I only know that he found it at a garage sale for less than $50 Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice   Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got a gig coming up and need some expertly advice
Page 1 of 1