A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Replacement P/U selector switch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blaine63

PostSubject: Replacement P/U selector switch   Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I recently got my 1979 T-40 out of storage (Serial # 00395954). It's in excellent condition (Yes...I'm the first and only owner). It made me smile to see it after so many years (just getting back into playing after an oh so long hiatus). Back in the day I snapped the P/U selector switch and simply made do with using a small screwdriver to change the P/Us. I want to replace the switch and I'm not sure if I can even find an original style (read: Vintage) switch.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
one-man-band

PostSubject: Re: Replacement P/U selector switch   Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Hey, I've just gotten back into T-40s, having recently found an exact replacement for the one I loved that got stolen in 1986. My new (old) one had a broken pick-up selector switch too, and I found an accurate replacement. But my bass is a 1981, so I don't know if the three-position toggle switch on yours is the same as mine.

Mine had a C&K 7211 series toggle, with a flat blade switch actuator. I found that C&K actually still makes this series of switch. They come in many different configurations, so I had to take my old switch, make lots of measurements, and select the correct C&K model. The best match for my switch was C&K model 7211P3YZQE, which I got from Mouser Electronics. The only difference between the new switch and the original one I replaced is that the bushing (threaded sleeve that goes through your pickguard and attaches with a nut) is 1/16" longer than the original. No problem, because I could mount a backnut on it and set the height accurately. Mouser Electronics is great because they have no minimum order. The part I bought was Mouser part number 611-7211P3YZQE. It was $12 plus shipping.

If yours switch is a C&K series 7211, maybe this one will do for you. You can download C&K's spec sheet that helps you decode what all the letters in their number mean, if you want to be absolutely sure you have the right one. For example, the P3 in the part number means a flat blade actuator, which is what I have. And some of the other letters specify the bushing diameter and length.

Hope this helps... Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blaine63

PostSubject: Re: Replacement P/U selector switch   Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks. I got one at guitarelectronics.com

P/N SWM33-17

It seems a good fit and looks identical. It may be the same as yours just sold through a different vender. The price was the same: $11.95

Have fun with your new (old) T-40!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
one-man-band

PostSubject: Re: Replacement P/U selector switch   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Cool website. I had not landed there before. Neat stuff. Looks like you found exactly what you needed. Looks identical to mine, except that the plastic on mine is orange. Perhaps they are made by the same vendor. Have fun with your vintage axe. I had forgotten just how good the T-40 sounds. I've been playing a Fender J bass for a long time, but it's been fun getting back to the Peavey sound.

Rock on... Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement P/U selector switch   

Back to top Go down

Replacement P/U selector switch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1