THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts and rants

Go down 
+2
Flat Eric
Scottpro1969
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:49 am

First of all, let me explain that I do love the tone of the T-40. The blood, sweat, and tears (great band) that Chip, Hartley, Charley and others put into it made it one of the best sounding, most durable basses anywhere to this day, regardless of price range.

I have to say though that now, it doesn't work for me *blasphemy*

To me, now, the T-40 seems cumbersome, and clumsy. I don't know. I've tried to re-connect with it but it's not happening. The weight of the bass and quirkiness of the control knobs have me reaching for my other basses for convenience sake.

Fear not, I haven't abolished Peaveys all together, in fact, I am enamored so much with the super-ferrite pickup basses. Right now I own a Patriot bass and it's all that the T-40 is (to me). I've also owned a Foundation which I loved as well.

I guess my tastes have changed, which is normal. The Patriot weighs about 7 lbs. and has a 1 1/2" thinner-than-a-jazz-style-neck that I just love. It's my numero-uno right now.

No disrespect to the T-40. I've owned so many of them and have an affinity for them. Times change and tastes change...hope nobody wants me outta here...lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
Flat Eric

Flat Eric

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 am

Oooo, the shame of it!!!

Time moves on and things change - I have a Foundation with
Super Ferrites on, great pups, so I know what you mean.

I wander off the trail now and again - I have all sorts to have
a go on but something keeps drawing me back.

I look at it this way, if it works for you - stick with it - if it
doesn't, don't worry about it.
I played my later Natural, a couple of weeks ago, after a
whole heap of other stuff and really enjoyed it.
You also have to remember that over here in the UK, they
are a rarity and whenever I gig mine, there's always someone
who will come over for a chat.
Try that with a FenGibRic copy or that latest faddy bass - you
get left, leaning against the bar, lonely! Laughing

There, I hope that makes you feel better. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now, go and stand in the corner - no supper for you tonight!! Laughing

Cheers. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Stick around Scott. Like I used to say over at the original T-60 Forum, "Ownership isn't essential. Enthusiasm is essential."
Back to top Go down
chiptodd

chiptodd

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 pm

I feel the same way about the weight of the T-40. We knew that the heavy bass had a limited lifetime because of its weight when we introduced it, but planned on a lighter wood when we the market realized that weight didn't equal sustain. We should have made the body and peghead much smaller, but hindsight's cheap

And, if we'd have been smarter, we'd have realized that all pickups would produce fundamental and low frequencies, and made T-40 pickups nearer the T-60 size for tone reasons. (power is dependent upon the number of turns of wire, not how big the pickups are. We, (Hartley and I), got caught up in making the pickups proportionally larger than the T-60 pickups, (without a good reason).
Chip
Back to top Go down
butterfingersbeck

butterfingersbeck

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

chiptodd wrote:
I feel the same way about the weight of the T-40. We knew that the heavy bass had a limited lifetime because of its weight when we introduced it, but planned on a lighter wood when we the market realized that weight didn't equal sustain. We should have made the body and peghead much smaller, but hindsight's cheap

And, if we'd have been smarter, we'd have realized that all pickups would produce fundamental and low frequencies, and made T-40 pickups nearer the T-60 size for tone reasons. (power is dependent upon the number of turns of wire, not how big the pickups are. We, (Hartley and I), got caught up in making the pickups proportionally larger than the T-60 pickups, (without a good reason).
Chip

I disagree - I think the Peavey team got almost everything right with the T-40 (flimsy switch levers and the silly string mute aside). The thing has more sustain than a Hammond organ (OK, I'm exaggerating...), due equally (in my opinion) to the body size and density, the through-body stringing, the massive bridge and the pickups. And yes, the body HAS to be that size and shape, otherwise it doesn't look like a T-40. The bridge plate and pickups HAVE to be that big - they just look right. The arrowhead string-guide is a tiny detail but a brilliant one, as are the cast-alloy knobs with the Peavey "P" logo. And the electronics are deceptively simple and yet versatile - perhaps the cleverest passive circuit ever devised for a guitar or bass. One day people will realise that the T-40 is one of very few perfect bass designs, along with Ned Steinberger's original L series and Leo Fender's MusicMan Stingray.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theskanxband.co.uk
.Viktor Bassenstein.

.Viktor Bassenstein.

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 am

The Peavey T-40 RULES!!!! The look, so attractive. Don't change a thing (keep the blade pick ups, skinny V switches and that Insane Metal Nut!) and it looks Greeat!!!! Keep that weight! You got to carry that weight!!!! Makes it worth it bashing the hell out of it when playing.

Though- Active pickups would be sweet. Put two 9-volts in that sucker and crank it up !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts and rants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and rants   Thoughts and rants I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and rants
Page 1 of 1