THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T40 Strings - Guidance please

Go down 
+2
ajish4
Barrowford Bluesman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Barrowford Bluesman

T40 Strings - Guidance please Empty
PostSubject: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I did a search but only found 2 previous posts on strings so I hope I'm not duplicating anything here.

I bought a T40 knowing that it needed some TLC and dropped it off at a local luthier for a general tidy up; it needed a new switch and a coil rewind.

I would like to drop new strings onto it when the repair is done but am bamboozled by the choice.

I use Rotosounds on my acoustic guitars.

From the manual the scale length is 34", but do I need to make an additional allowance for the string passing through the body?

Interested to know what people think, recommendations etc..

Ian
Back to top Go down
ajish4

ajish4

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Hey Ian,

I've tried a number of different strings on my T40's...but I fell in LOVE with Thomastic Infiled Jazz strings....some SERIOUS CLASSIC THUMPIN' strings!

Not as "dull" as classic flats, not as "sharp" as Rounds....
They are expensive, but they last forever! Smile

VERY LOW TENSION to boot!

Tony
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 pm

TIs are GREAT strings...I swear by them for flats but if I'm using rounds, it's DR coated strings (black beauties, red devils, etc.) for me. They have a great feel and sound great...just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
chiptodd

chiptodd

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Borrowford Bluesman:
I'd check your luthier, again, as the T-40 pickups were potted in epoxy and, unless yours was one of the last couple of year's production, the coil wasn't rewound. Someone more interested in ease of production and not knowing enough to make that decision, eliminated the complete potting of the pickups, although the small potting that they used to "glue" the pickup together would, most likely, precluded rewinding the coils.
Chip Todd
Back to top Go down
stinky634

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Sorry for necro posting this thread, but didnt want to clutter up the forums.

I just sent my T-40 in for a setup/cleaning, and I dont know what strings to put on it.

I have tried Rotosounds, not a good fit at all, and too rough on my fingers. I also tried some Slinky's and they were ok. Has anyone tried Elixirs, or think they would soud ok? I use them on my Warwick and love them to death, dont know if they will sound ok on a T-40.
Back to top Go down
Flat Eric

Flat Eric

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 am

Hi. Not sure Globally where you are.

I have tried all sorts - Stadiun Elites were my favourite for
a while but I then discovered Picato.

Yep, I know - not on the tip of everybody's tongue but for
me, they just do it.
Good amount of bass, middle and top.

I use Picato 735 LHY 40 - 100.
They do other sets, lighter of heavier but for me the 40 - 100
does the job nicely.
In the UK around £8.00 a set, which makes people think they
are a cheap string and not that good. Not true!
Check out their web site - you will see that all sorts of leading
artists are and have been using them#

Cheers. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/
Barrowford Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 am

chiptodd wrote:
Borrowford Bluesman:
I'd check your luthier, again, as the T-40 pickups were potted in epoxy and, unless yours was one of the last couple of year's production, the coil wasn't rewound. Someone more interested in ease of production and not knowing enough to make that decision, eliminated the complete potting of the pickups, although the small potting that they used to "glue" the pickup together would, most likely, precluded rewinding the coils.
Chip Todd

After a long lay-off with the bass I'm getting back into it again. We did indeed check the pick-ups and you were right, they could not be rewound. But my luthier friend plays a lot of bass himself and between us we found a pair of originals with not too much wear on them and in they went.

The only thing we couldn't keep original was one of the switches - I guess I could if I was prepared to put more time into it - but it's passable.

Played it on some recordings last year, and the guy liked the sound so it can't be all bad - but I've no idea how long they've been on there.

Looking forward to really exploring what this bass can do.

Ian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T40 Strings - Guidance please   T40 Strings - Guidance please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T40 Strings - Guidance please
Page 1 of 1