HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

500 kOhm pots on a T-40

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greg L.

PostSubject: 500 kOhm pots on a T-40   Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:04 am

Hey,

Sometimes I think that the sound I get from my T-40 bass isn't open enough. Has someone ever tried to put 500k pots on a T-40, instead of the 250k ?
I plan to modify my bass with 2 500k push-pull pots to split the pickups, instead of the original system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fastmotion.fr
rwn

PostSubject: Tried 500k pots, it was somewhat awkward.   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 am

I tried to install a standard 500k pot, but the control level in each pick-up lacked fine adjustment: They had a tendency to either be all the way, or none at all when it came to gain. Perhaps the push/pull pots would work better. This was also when I was seventeen, so some of the issue might have been my rather weak soldering skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiptodd

PostSubject: 500kOhm pots on a T-40   Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 pm

I would think it obvious that such was tried when we were designing the instrument. The extra resistance makes the volume control happen about when the pot reaches its halfway (resistance, not knob numbers), point. The extra resistance also helps trim out the nice treble overtones.

A 500 kOhms pot at the tone position really knocks the high overtones and the T-40 doesn't need any more bottom.

I state this without any subjectivity, as R. T. Lowe did the fine-tuning of the circuitry, along with some fine help from Charley Gressett.
Chip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 500 kOhm pots on a T-40   

Back to top Go down

500 kOhm pots on a T-40
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1