THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to Forum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ric N Backer

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello People.

Just got myself a T-40 2 weeks ago.
I am very happy with this bass and wish I knew about them sooner.

It has seen some action and is not as pristine as some I have been seeing on this site. It is a very cool bass and the P/U's and switches make some awesome sound possibilities

My Name is Chris and usually hang at Harmony Central.

New to Forum PeaveyT-40001

New to Forum PeaveyT-40002

New to Forum PeaveyT-40004
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 5:44 am

Welcome to the show Chris, and congrats on scoring a great looking T!
Back to top Go down
Brian Krashpad

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 11:09 am

Hey Chris, I recognize your moniker from H-C.

Congrats on the score and welcome.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I LOVE that color. I used to have a T-45 that color, and miss it. Nice score! That T-40 will do a good Rickenbacker tone, Mr. Rick N Backer, which I'm sure you've found out! Welcome to the forum and congrats on scoring a somewhat rare color T-40!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
Ric N Backer

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks Frank, Brian

Scott, I havent exactly found that Ric Tone with the T-40 but I definitley get some nice highs with it.

I actually like the thud better. P bass on Steroids is what it sounds like to me.

Still learning the different tones with it. The manual posted was helpful. Its quite a versitile bass.I wish I had known about the T-40 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 am

This might help figure out the knobs and possible tones. This is an article that Chip Todd wrote some time back about the T-60. Just substitute T-40 anytime you see T-60 and all should apply.

The Secrets of the Peavey T-60 Guitar as told by Chip Todd

It has been said many times that the Peavey T-60 guitar is capable of many sounds and tones from the pickup and wiring design. The only problem is most people that own one of these instruments are not aware how it works or how to adjust anything to get those wonderous tones.

The basic layout of the instrument is two splitable humbucker style pickups. One located at the bridge, the other located at the end of the neck.

The controls consist of two sets of volume and tone controls, one for each pickup.

The pickups are split into single coil pickups by applying a ground connection to the middle of the two humbucker magnetic coils. This bypasses one of the pickup coils and the remaining coil becomes a single coil pickup.

The tone control darkens (makes the sound more bass) the pickup sound by slowly grounding out the pickup through a tone capacitor.

The genius of the Peavey wiring design is that when the tone control is turned clockwise it applies ground to the pickup center and splits it into a single coil pickup. When turned counter-clockwise the tone control removes the ground from the pickup center (returning it to a regular humbucker pickup) and then slowly applies ground to the capacitor, which darkens the tone.

Therefore using the volume and tone controls with the three position selector switch, many various pickup combinations can be achieved. The volume controls have a .001uf capacitor bridging the input and output terminals. This they call volume compensation. It allows the sound of the pickups to remain constant as the volume is reduced.

There is also a phase switch, which reverses the positive and negative connections of the bridge pickup. Pickups connected out of phase have a hollow, tinny, mouth harp kind of sound. When the phase is used, this is where the real genius of the wiring design comes into play.

First of all, when the bridge pickup is selected and set at single coil setting on the tone control, the phase switch can be used to select either coil of the pickup.

Second, when the middle pickup switch position is selected and the phase switch set out of phase, those volume controls have volume compensation. This means that as the volume control is rotated counter-clockwise, the volume is slowly reduced and the output of the pickup is passed through the .001uf compensation capacitor. The capacitor counteracts the out of phase sound characteristics and creates a rich mellow refined pickup sound. Now with the pickup selector switch in the middle position and the pickups out of phase, the volume and tone pots can be used to create many new sounds from the pickups, in addition to the many already achievable from the in phase setting.
Back to top Go down
Ric N Backer

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 5:01 pm

thats great Frank, thanks. I am copying that to a word document and saving it on my desktop.

cheers

I have not played my Ric since I got the T-40. The Ric usually makes me hate whatever else I have been playing but I do not think that will be the case with the T-40. I think I have found an exceptable backup to my Ric...I am really enjoying all the sounds I have been able to get out of the T-40 with the variety of music I like to play. Its almost like having a bunch of effect pedals built right in to the bass.

I can go from Sabbath to Floyd to ACDC to Deep Purple to Metalica to Cream to GNR with just a few turns of some knobs...its incredible

Cool
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 6:50 am

Chip's baby is an incredible instrument. Have fun dialing in the tones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Forum   New to Forum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Forum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM :: T-40 DISCUSSION :: PEAVEY T-40 DISCUSSION-
Jump to: