THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Advice on Painting my T-40

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dashitai

Any Advice on Painting my T-40 Empty
PostSubject: Any Advice on Painting my T-40   Any Advice on Painting my T-40 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Hello everyone.

I bought my T-40 Natural finish a few weeks ago from a friend of mine. I just finished replacing some of the switches but it has a bunch of scratches on the back side wood of the body and also some of the varnish has worn off.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience painting their T-40's. Is it recommended? Does it use a special varnish (I think its polyurethane)? Can a luthier do it or can it be a regular carpenter?

If anyone can recommend me the best route to go about it let me know. Or do you think I should just leave it how it is and stay with that "aged vintage look"

Juan
Back to top Go down
Greg L.

Any Advice on Painting my T-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Advice on Painting my T-40   Any Advice on Painting my T-40 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 am

Hi Juan,

If you plan to paint your T-40 body, you should remove all the parts (neck, pickguard, bridge, ...) and sand it. Try with a big grain first (80) using a sanding block for flat areas, then use smoother ones (120, 180, 240).

If the scratches are too big, you can fill them with a kind of wood paste (sorry, I don't know how to say it in English), but don't forget to sand ... again and again. Remember the sanding job is very important. If you can notice some scratches before the painting job, the paint won't fill the scratches enough and it will look like sh*t.

Once done, you can try to ask your local auto repair shop and ask if they can paint your body. Don't forget to use a primer before the colored paint. I'm sure they can paint your body for cheap when they have to paint a car parts.
Back to top Go down
http://fastmotion.fr

Any Advice on Painting my T-40
Page 1 of 1