THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

New player... repair advise needed (already)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
othellomcbane

PostSubject: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello all, looks like a great forum here. I picked up a T-40, my first bass and first instrument, a couple of months ago. I got it for really cheap off of a friend, knowing it wasn't in mint condition. I'm not sure what year it is, and I forgot to search through the forums to see if there's a way to find out. The most noticeable harm is a really awful paint job, complete with an extremely tacky Superman symbol on the back. Really blasphemous, but I figured I won't be playing for anyone but myself for a while, I could live with it. Then I noticed the wiring was awfully crackly, had to adjust the input plug a lot, it would sometimes cut out, etc. Then, after more playing, I realized the rear pickup doesn't work at all, and it's missing the one switch (not the pickup selector switch, the one below the four knobs, but since I don't have it, I'm not sure what it does). Really, despite the bad electronics, it still sounded pretty good, and I have a blast playing it. So I plan on keeping it around, but as the problems mount, it needs an overhaul. So I picked up another bass and I'm giving the T-40 to a friend who repairs and builds guitars.

He's going to fix up the electronics, and while I don't know much about that, it doesn't sound like it will be too big of a deal. I don't think anything really needs replaced except the missing switch, probably just some soddering or rewiring. However, while he's doing that, I also want to fix the horrendous paintjob. Right now the body is a solid dark blue, and I'm not sure if he can get it back to the original wood finish, so that it would look like... well, the bass right up there ^. If not, I was thinking it might look good with a black body and a mirror/reflective pickguard. I didn't know anyone actually made mirror pickguards, as I've never seen one before, but a search revealed this website http://www.wdmusic.com/peavey_reg_t_40_bass_29440_prd1.htm does seem to make them for the T-40. Anyone have any experience with that site, with mirror pickguards, or buying third party parts for the T-40 in general? Even commentary on what color schemes would look good and bad would be appreciated, or other repair / repainting missteps to watch out for.

It's a wonderful instrument, so I'm hoping to get it looking as good as it deserves to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 am

Welcome to the show and congrats on grabbing a T-40!

I've heard a lot of good things about WD's pickguards. I haven't purchased one myself, but there is one on the parts list for a project I'm working on. A friend had a mirror pick guard on one of his T-60s and it looked really great. He had some type of work bench accident and the guard cracked.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s,  T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Backstage, Bandit, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, first of all. Parts show up on eBay from time to time. Black w/mirrored pickguard would look cool. I'm partial to blue though. Navy blue w/parchment pickguard is something I would like to do.

I've also heard good things about WD's pickguards. Can't go wrong there. I'm thinking about getting a tortoise shell p/g for my natural T-20...though I may keep that stock, haven't made up my mind yet.

Depending on how many coats of paint are on there, you can get the body back to natural...it will take a lot of manual labor though, sanding. It's worth a try if you really want a natural finish. Keep us updated on progress!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
ajish4

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Welcome othellomcbane,

I've used their stock pickguards, and they are really nice.

Put the time and effort into your T40. You will be glad you did. You are lucky that you discovered it early on, it will save you a LOT of searching for your sound!

ENJOY & keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg L.

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:44 am

I think there's nothing irreversible with your bass.
As Scott said, if you want the original natural color of your T-40 body, there's only one thing to do : sanding, sanding, sanding and sanding.

Depending on how much paint there is, it can take a lot of time to go through the paint. You'd better use a sanding block for the back of the body, because it's flat. Don't forget to remove the neck, the bridge and the pickguard ! ;-)

If it seems the electronics don't work fine, I'd suggest to buy new pots and do a brand new wiring. The missing switch is a phase inverter and work only when both pickups run together (middle position on the pickup selector).
You can also test the neck pickup with a ohm-meter. If you can't get anything with the ohm-meter, it should mean the pickup is dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fastmotion.fr
Scottpro1969

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 am

+1...good advise Greg.

I have a T-40 body that was in really rough shape. I have it just about completely sanded down now. I'm going to stain it, not sure what color yet, then put a few coats of tung oil. Sanding is a tedious process, for sure. I can only work on it for about 30 min. at a time, then I get frustrated...so I walk away from it. It's taken about a month to this point.

If you do decide to sand it....make sure you sand WITH THE GRAIN. That can be tricky and frustrating on the edges, take the time and do it right. It's rewarding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
othellomcbane

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks for the all the help guys. I think I'll really like the black/mirror look, so I'll try that. I'm handing the bass over to my friend this weekend, along with a laptop to fix up, so we'll see how quickly he gets to work on it. I'll report back with some pics and updates as they happen, and hope I don't need much more help from this point. I can't wait to play it again, as I'm sure I've barely seen what it can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New player... repair advise needed (already)   

Back to top Go down

New player... repair advise needed (already)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1