THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T-40 at local pawn

Go down 
+2
el duderino
Scottpro1969
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm

A few months ago I was in a local pawn shop and saw a natural T-40 that looked like it had been well played but not abused. The serial number, if I remember correctly didn't start with 00, or 8M. I think it was 211 plus 4 or 5 more numbers. I think it's a very early model. Pre-production. It had the older toaster pickups, I think one of the switches was broken off. I plugged it in and it sounded great. Only thing was the price tag of $250, without case. So I quickly put it down.

Anyway, this forum had me thinking about that bass. I called the shop this afternoon and asked if it was still there. It is. Now it's down to $197. I'm thinking I might go in there tomorrow or Monday, see if it has any more battle scars and offer them $150 and see if they bite. I need to get in touch with Chip Todd to see if it is, indeed a pre-production serial number. I'll keep you posted!!!

The T-40 GAS has hit!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ussmaps
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2007 6:04 pm

PT43...Tony!!!

Just saw your post about serial dating. Any ideas on this one???
Back to top Go down
el duderino

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2007 6:56 pm

$200 is a pretty good price for an earlier model if it's in good playing condition. Maybe a bit steep without the case, but I would still probably jump at it. That's what I paid for my first one, although I did have to pay about that much to have the frets replaced, but it was definitely worth it in my book.

I say go for it if the neck is straight and the frets have some meat left to them and the finish doesn't look like someone played it in the middle of a sandstorm.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to bring along my truss rod tool just to make sure the rod is functioning and not broken. I'll give it a good checkout. Thanks for the input!!!
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 8:22 am

Scottpro1969 wrote:
PT43...Tony!!!

Just saw your post about serial dating. Any ideas on this one???

Sorry I missed this one Scott. This sounds like one of the 6-digit serial numbers.

Here's what Chip said about T serial numbers a while back:

"The sequence of markings on the first ones was; CT-1, CT-2, CT-B, the first three built in my carport for the 1976 NAMM show. They were in order, 6 keys per side, 3 keys per side, and the bass. These were hand-stamped."

"The next ones were:
Guitar Dept. 1, through Guitar Dept. 5 or 6.(1976) Hand-stamped
Then 0000000.0 through .00000000, 000000.0.0, and 00000.0.0.0 and these were the sales rep samples. Note that the decimal points progressed through the eight numerals and the last of the ten had two decimals. These would let us know and identify if any of the sales reps "lost" their sample. (late 1976 or early 1977)"

"There were some undisciplined zero-numbered ones with various single digit numbers included in the zeros, which went to artists like, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Neal Diamond, Billy Gibbons, etc.( 1977)"

"I remember the "8Mxxxxxx"s, but am not sure where they were in the order, only that they weren't before the above and the #00245XXX which was the true first production guitar and was presented to Mississippi Music in Meridian, MS, (the store that Hartley's dad owned before retiring). The Schmidt Serial Numbering head didn't have the capability of letters, only numbers, so there would have been only a very few with the 8Mxxxxxx.
There were a few specials, like the Magnolia wood T-40 bass for Ken Achard, author of "The History and Development of the American Guitar" (with rear mounted pickups and controls), that were made, with Hartley's blessing, off the records and with their initials for serial numbers. hand-stamped"

So here's the sequence:

000000's
8M's
8-digits

I'm still not sure where the 6-digit serial numbers fall in the sequence.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for that Tony. This bass still sounds like a rare bird. I'm heading out to check it out again right now. I'll probably buy it unless it's in too rough a shape. Again thanks for the research!!!
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 4:36 pm

No problem at all Scott. The research is already done, I just cut and paste it. Laughing

I would go get that one. I'd like to add some early serial numbers to my herd.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 9:41 am

Well, I didn't get the bass. The neck was pretty dinged up but the truss rod was fine. I don't think it had ever been adjusted properly becuase there was no tension on it. There was no fret wear to speak of. Mulitple dings on the front and buckle rash on the back of the bass. The electronics worked but the selector switches were not original. Pickups and surrounds in good shape. It is a 6 digit serial number....124xxx.

Bottom line was, they were asking $200 for the bass and were only willing to go down to $175. I offered $140. No case. I dunno. With a little help this could be a great bass. I'll wait a week or so and go back and make another offer.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 pm

For that price I would have had to gotten it, simply because of the low serial number.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 1:51 pm

You're right, Tony. I'm going down tomorrow and rescue it. Give her a good cleaning, adjust the truss rod and intonation and fix the electronics. I can always get a case off of eBay, they're pretty easy to find. Thanks for your convincing post. I have been thinking about that bass since Saturday...now it's confirmed, I have to rescue it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 5:07 am

That's the spirit Scott!
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Well, I'm back in the T-40 club. I couldn't resist and bought the one at the pawn shop. I'm going to do some heavy cleaning, adjust the truss rod and action and do a proper set up, which I don't think was ever done to this poor bass.

As I said, it's had a rough life but I think this is going to be a GREAT player. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Tony, serial number: 176310. If you would, please add it to the list you're compiling. I want to get in touch with Chip to see if he remembers any specifics on the 6 digit serial numbers.

I'm psyched!!!!
Back to top Go down
freeridstylee

freeridstylee

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Nice SCORE Scott!

What do you recommend to use to clean it? Mines diiiiiiirty as hell.
Back to top Go down
el duderino

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm

freeridstylee wrote:
Nice SCORE Scott!

What do you recommend to use to clean it? Mines diiiiiiirty as hell.

Whenever I clean any of my basses, I just use regular old pledge furniture polish and a soft cloth to wipe it down.. When I rescued one from a pawn shop, that's what I did, and it cleaned up the nastiness quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 am

Thanks free!!!

Ok, as for cleaning and polishing I first use a product called Scratch-X. I buy some 100% cotton cloth diapers from Wal-Mart and start with about a dime size of product on the diaper and just work it into the finish. Don't let it sit on the finish, just work it in and wipe with a clean cloth. I'll do the entire instrument with that, including the fretboard. The fretboard on the T-40 I just bought was nasty. I removed the strings and really got into cleaning the fretboard. Took about an hour.

After the Scratch-X, I use a cleaner wax called Zymol. Both products can be found in any good Car Care store. Zymol comes in many different formulas, the one I use is a light bluish color and states "Original Formula". This product gives a super mirror like gloss. Do not use this on unfinished wood like rosewood fretboards. I'll do the same routine as with the Scratch-X, small amount on a cloth diaper working it into the finish and wiping clean. You will not believe the results especially on solid color finishes like black and red. It's ok to use these on natural finish T-40's, it has a sealer finish already on the wood.

These products are made to clean and buff out small surface scratches and swirls, also to produce a beautiful mirror like finish. Hope this helps. If you buy these you won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 am

Forgot to mention on rosewood fretboards I use boiled linseed oil to clean it. I've been using it for years and it has never dried out the wood as I have heard debated elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 2:56 am

Ok, I just uploaded some pics of my new T-40. I cleaned her top to bottom, adjusted the truss rod and string height to my liking (low action).

I had to take the neck off because the neck tilt wasn't working, only to find out that the metal slug wasn't there!!! Luckily I learned from Chip Todd that the slug was designed to be the exact size of a penny, so I put a penny in there...fit perfectly. Re-attached the neck and adjusted the tilt. This neck had never been tightened. The truss rod was at full relief. It's a great neck though, straight as an arrow.

The pots were pretty scratchy when turned so I took off the knobs and sprayed some DeoxIT into the pots. Took care of it right away.

Other than cosmetic issues and a replaced switch this is the best player I've ever had in a T-40, the pickups and electronics kick a$$ on this bass. For what I paid for this bass, I stole it. Especially since I believe it's a very early 6 digit serial number. Now I just need to get a case. Here's a link to pics:

https://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/Scottpro1969/T-40/
Back to top Go down
freeridstylee

freeridstylee

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 7:39 am

Nice looking bass! How'd you get the bridge sooo clean?

I'm just kind of afraid of putting anything on my bass, as it seems like theres no finish left. Maybe i'm just paranoid.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks free,

As for cleaning the bridge, when I took the strings off I got some Q-Tips and soaked the ends in regular old Windex and just worked them around the inside of the bridge, corners, lift the saddles. Q-Tips work great to get into tough spots to clean.
Back to top Go down
Jeff

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 am

That looks pretty sweet Scott. 'Specially for the price!
Now aren't you glad you rescued it?
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks Jeff, you better believe it...this is one awesome player!!
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Well, I went to the Peavey website and asked the date of my 6 digit serial numbered T-40. Just found out it's a '78 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
el duderino

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 pm

That looks really nice considering where it came from. I especially like how it has the extra lining on the headstock around the trussrod cover; I don't think that very many at all had that.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:36 am

Hold onto that one and don't ever let it go. Chip has said that very few of the T's have the line running around the truss rod cover. I don't remember him making a guess on an actual number, but he said very few of them are out there. The ladies applying the decals to the headstock had an awful time trying to line up the first ones.
Back to top Go down
Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 5:42 pm

Tony, I know. I can't believe that I didn't spot that right away!!!! This is a special bass. El duderino spotted it for me. I do remember Chip saying that about the lining. I'm thinking it's before the 8M's. Wow, what luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

T-40 at local pawn Empty
PostSubject: Re: T-40 at local pawn   T-40 at local pawn I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T-40 at local pawn
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM :: T-40 DISCUSSION :: PEAVEY T-40 DISCUSSION-
Jump to: