THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS FORUM

A FORUM FOR PEAVEY T-40 BASS ENTHUSIASTS

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.

Go down 
+3
ozrider
CHILDISHGAMBINO
ajish4
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ajish4

ajish4

New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. Empty
PostSubject: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Here she is....what do you guys think? I've recently found this forum and you guys seem to have a great community here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-T-40-Bass-1981-Made-in-USA_W0QQitemZ380009525517QQihZ025QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I've been lusting for one of these bad boys for about a year now, but I've never played one before. I'm a RIC guy, so I'm breaking new ground here. I didn't want to spend this much on a bass I wasn't familiar with but it just looked too good to pass up.

I KNEW I didn't want a Fender so I just started looking and found the T40.
I was amazed to see the reviews posted on Harmony Central. After reading a few, I knew I HAD to try one!

I love the color, but was hoping for an earlier one with a maple neck. This one just looked right to me.

It will need a few things (volume knob, Phase switch & TRC cover) any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice on fixing the wiring situation also would be greatly appreciated. Smile

I'm just really excited and I'm going to want to have it fixed up asap. I'm a bit OCD about my guitars and I'm going to want to gig with it asap.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Back to top Go down
CHILDISHGAMBINO

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 pm

I think there's a schematic on the T-60 forum if there isn't one here. I don't know how to fix it but I just wanted to say nice bass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sleepertheband
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 12:34 am

I am new here too, just thought I would say that is a real nice looking bass Smile
Back to top Go down
el duderino

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:02 am

Welcome to the club. That's a nice looking T for not too bad a price considering the recent increase of interest in them.

Trussrod covers can usually be found on ebay for cheap. Here's a link for one that is an aftermarket replacement

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-Trussrod-cover-black-T-60-T-40-guitar-part-NEW_W0QQitemZ250226846083QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've bought one from him and they are indistinguishable from the originals, and he is a great person to deal with.

For the control knobs, if you can't find anyone else, ebay seller spearman2000 specializes in NOS Peavey parts, and he has some knobs up for sale occasionally.

As far as fixing the phase switch goes, just follow the schematic for wiring it up, and the switch you will need is a DPDT on-on switch.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 am

Nice find, Sunburst with Rosewood is a very nice combination for a T-40, and it looks like you got a great deal as well.
Back to top Go down
ajish4

ajish4

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Thanks for the info everyone!

I didn't win the auction for the TRC, but I contacted the seller who does have all the parts I need. He was very easy to deal with and they should be on their way soon.

The bass is scheduled to arrive late in this week. The seller just informed me (I know, I should have asked) that it doesn't have a case, so I guess I'll keep my eyes open for one on Ebay.

I've been watching them for a while and noticed the prices were on the rise.
When I noticed the Buy It Now, I just caved.

I'm hoping the neck isn't too big, I've seen some reports of it being like a Jazz bass and some say it is like a P bass.

Can anyone fill me in on the differences of the pickups? I noticed the late 70's and some early 80's T-40's don't show the blades in the pickup. Mine does.

Anyway, I have a lot of reading to do, I printed up the schematic and I'm ready to go.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to let everyone know when it arrives.
Back to top Go down
ozrider

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:23 am

I got an '83 p bass and a '79 T-40. They have similar necks but I think the p bass is a little chunkier, my T-40 feels like it has a faster neck. Anyway, they both sound soooo different. The P bass has better lows IMO, but the T-40 can really growl... The T-40 is definitely fun to play and so many different sounds too. Good luck with the new toy.
Back to top Go down
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 am

The toaster pickups (early ones without the blade) seem to sound a bit warmer while the blade pickups (later ones with the blade) seem a bit brighter to me. I have both types on various T-60s but only have one T-40 with blades. I personally prefer the toasters.
Back to top Go down
eilif

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 am

ajish4 wrote:
I'm hoping the neck isn't too big, I've seen some reports of it being like a Jazz bass and some say it is like a P bass.

Can anyone fill me in on the differences of the pickups? I noticed the late 70's and some early 80's T-40's don't show the blades in the pickup. Mine does.

Anyway, I have a lot of reading to do, I printed up the schematic and I'm ready to go.

PT43 is right about the pickups. As for the neck, T-40's definatelyare P-bass width. Anyone describing it as a J-bass is incorrect. It's a comfortable neck, but if you are hoping for a J-bass width, you will be disapointed.

While you are reading, check out my Infosheet in the "Tech" section it will give you more info on the pickups and just about everything else you want to know about the t-40.
Back to top Go down
ajish4

ajish4

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The bass is here, but has some kind of problem with the wiring.

It also is pretty dirty. I'm working on cleaning it up and trying to nail down the wiring problem.

I ordered the two switches from Rene in Norway? I think it was.

After I get it all cleaned up, I'll try to get some pictures uploaded.

I've only spent about 10 minutes playing it, and when I was able to get to work, I was amazed at just how good this bass sounded! I fear I'm hooked!

NOW, to try to find a FRETLESS ONE! Shocked
Back to top Go down
T-40
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 10:59 pm

You picked a great bass! You will enjoy it for many years to come!
Back to top Go down
https://peaveyt40.forumotion.com
Frank N. Peavey

Frank N. Peavey

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 am

Rene is a great guy to deal with.
Back to top Go down
ajish4

ajish4

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 5:43 am

Well, after all this time, I pick up my T-40 from my luthier today. cheers

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

The wiring was a mess, it was completely rewired, cleaned and setup. The phase switch was messed with and it was shorting out the entire circuit.

My luthier said there is a slight neck issue that he will explain to me when I pick up the bass. Sad

I can't wait to put it through the paces!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.   New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member, and I just took the T-40 plunge.
Page 1 of 1